A Skippers Tale XII

Home Port

He’s home!  Much to the excitement of one four-legged ‘dawg-hter’

Late yesterday – after I had already posted my blog for the day, Mum and I had a call from one of the Oncology Doctors to discuss what was going to happen from now with regards to any possible treatment.  Outpatient clinics are usually held on a Wednesday, but allowing for when an available appointment is we may be looking at two weeks for us to go in and talk about options.  At one point the comment was made by the Dr that treatment may not be offered which of course upset Mum a bit.  When we asked what would trigger that the Oncologist indicated scenarios including, it wasn’t the patients wish… if the patient was unable to actually take the treatment (we are talking serious toxins here) or even in some cases the person is at the point that even if they offered treatment it would do no good.

After a disturbed night sleep for both Mum and I, this morning we filled our hours with doing general house-y-work type of activities before heading in to collect Dad.  Mum also even took the bull by the horns and drove herself up to the local shops to do the Lotto and get the Saturday paper so it was here in the house when Dad got home.

My time was spent refereeing two purrnicious furpersons who were having a bit of a ‘spat’.

We had been advised by the nurses that discharge time was generally between 11 and 11.30 so we headed in aiming to get there closer to 11.

Considering the palava Dad and Mum had faced getting Mum discharged from Fremantle Hospital after her health scare last September, we were going in expecting to wait until about 4pm to actually get OUT of the hospital.  We were greatly mistaken and moderately pleased.

It’s funny.  Dad admits he believes there is a major conspiracy going on with the staff and us because he was certain that this has all happened over a much longer period than it has.  We had to reassure him that everything that has happened has only happened in the past 12 days.

We were visited by a lovely ward nurse Jane and chatted briefly about Staffies and their energetic foibles (Jane has an AmStaff – American Staffy – called Molly).  Jane brought the packet that Fiona our social worker had left for us with all sorts of useful information in it that I will probably have a read through tonight to get a better grip on some things she had touched on yesterday including setting up ‘instructions’ that Dad would like followed should he be readmitted.  Jane gave us a run down on the tablets and other medication that Dad will need… things like steroids to help with swelling, anticonvulsants, and blood thinning medications.  When Mum came out of hospital I did up a spreadsheet that could be printed out for a week outlining what needed to be taken when.  I have also now done one up for Dad as well.  Add my list of personal medications and … Lawrence pharmacy, come on in!

After Jane came Lydia, the Coagulant Nurse.  She specialises in the medication dealing with blood coagulation.  She started giving us the run down on the effects of things like Warfarin, Clexane and the like, but we soon provided enough evidence that we knew all about this, so we got the Cliff Notes version and were informed that until Dad’s INR readings get into the midline (2-3) a nurse from Silver Chain would be visiting to give him his Clexane injections and do a general health check twice daily.

Dad’s Boris Karloff hair-do (read head staples) will be removed about 10 days after the procedure… so probably next week some time.

With everything signed and sealed we headed down to the car and the leisurely journey home.

I have never been so mindful of traffic in my life.  I had visions of some effwit suddenly causing me to stamp on the brakes and what that might do to Dad.  Fortunately no such event occurred and we made it back to the house at about 1.30.

Coco was ecstatic at seeing her Dad again, however wasn’t her usual stupid-with-excitement self… we are certain she knows something is going on.  She has however tried on several occasions to get up on Dad’s lap since he sat down at lunch.  Fortunately “No” seems to have worked.  But I fully expect that within the next 24 hours there will be a little (or not so) tan lump curled up next to him.

Around 3.30 we had a call from Elise the Silver Chain nurse who would be doing Dad’s initial assessment who said she was on her way.  Very friendly and helpful, Elise ran through what we could expect from them, and what we should do in the case of any type of concerning incident.  At this point the Clexane dose was given and all was as right with the world as it can be.

We are in the process of cooking some Bangers and Mash for our man and then expect to have an early night.

Love to all

Yoli, Barb…. And Fred


2 thoughts on “A Skippers Tale XII

  1. Hello to you three Darlings. Special hello to you Fred.. Glad you are back in the Arms of your two favourite girls,Barb and Yoli and of course Coco and all of the cats. Not sure who missed you the most. We will leave you to settle in back home with the hope of a short visit next weekend. We will phone before we come. Barb is there anything we can do to help you? Please ask. Much love to you all. Lyn, Tony, Pepa and Tigger. Xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s