A Skippers Tale Part XVIII


Just a quick update on the goings on in the Lawrence wheelhouse.

Dad continues to have his radiation therapy daily at Sir Charlies. Considering what you hear about people losing hair etc through the process, Dad is proving that Lawrence follicles are a tough breed. Granted, does still sport a very nice crew cut, it seems the only area that is subject to any change has been the patch around where the resection for the biopsy was done, Dad mentioned that when the hair comes through it’s a bit brittle and tends to break off easily. That, along with a touch of dry flaky skin around that part of his forehead is about the only visible side effects that seems to be occurring for now.  He has his last round of radiation on the 8th of May after which we have to wait a month before Dad can start his Chemo treatment.  It’s expected that during the break another round of MRI’s/CT scans will be completed to see what if any effect the Radiation has had on the Tumors.

The Warfarin for the PE’s, however,  is creating a situation of its own. With Dad now down around 69 kgs and his fat stores and muscle mass a tad depleted, any bumps and scrapes that he might encounter have a more noticeable affect in the way of bruising and the like. Calvie our little tuxedo cat caught Dad a cropper this evening when she was startled by Coco jockeying for position on Dad’s lap. Calvie has left some telltale kitty claw marks down the side of dads cheek and neck. But nothing too bad.

DVA has sent back a small forest of forms for Dad’s doctor to complete, so today we headed up to see his GP Norm. While we were there Dad had his blood pressure checked. 110/70. So a little on the low side, but all in all very good all things considered. He just has to be mindful not to jump up to quickly else he might get a bit dizzy.

All this of course is not helped by the fact that for the past three weeks HMAS Lawrence has been up to the eyeballs with bronchial flu! Dad, ironically, has been the most resilient of all of us… my money is on the fact that the germs can’t get a hold with the radiation treatment each day. But Mum and I have really been whacked with it. I must take responsibility for it… sort of… I went on my weekend jaunt earlier this month for a Pop Culture convention in the city. Sunday night I felt the onset of a sore throat so I called down to the hotel kitchen for a pot of hot chocolate and a salt shaker… A what?   Salt Shaker. <<Insert whistle of crickets>> “You put salt in your hot chocolate?” I then had to explain that I wanted to salt water gargle… Anyway… what I first thought to be a simple case of getting hot then cooling off to quick and getting a cold, was something more chesty and substantial and probably gotten from one of the seething masses at the Convention. Not fun… I won’t terrify you with the details… but not fun… And then I just had to go and share didn’t I… Mum is still hacking a bit… So being run down myself and also doing the parental care has really knocked me a bit and the last week and a bit has actually been a bit of rocky one for me.

To cap it all off, the time frame for my full move back to Mum and Dad’s has been brought forward due to the unexpected (well sort of) sale of my best friend Lea’s property they are renting. Because the sale was for cash, the settlement terms are basically only 4 weeks… so Lea and Brian (who had expressed an interest in renting my place) are moving in in two weeks. FECK!!!!!!!! So between feeling like death on a SAO and the idea of having to pack up my house, the past two weeks have been a bit stressful, because in addition to the move, construction of the studio hasn’t started yet, so we are also having to juggle moving stuff around in Mum and Dad’s place as a stop gap measure… and they haven’t been well…. My anxiety has been slowly creeping up the closer this weekends move looms.

I do have to however give a shout out at this point. I would have been a jabbering hysterical wreck right now if Leanne the Superhero BFF hadn’t been around. Leanne and Brian have gone above and beyond to help me with my place. I am ashamed to say that realistically it’s been a massive hoarding shambles since Mum fell ill last August. And the more I left it the more it became difficult to know where to start. Enter Leanne stage left: Lea and I have been friends since we were about 14 and there isn’t much either of us could do that would shock the other. So, for the past two weekends – despite the fact that she has her own house to pack, Lea and Bri have come down to my place to help declutter the detritus from my house so I can at least distinguish the forest from the weeds. I love these two people very dearly and I can’t sufficiently put into words how awesome they have been… I am, however plotting other ways… they will after all be my neighbours soon <grin>

So… this Sunday the crossroad migration will occur once more… I am preemptively thanking my friends who have offered to lend me a hand in the move… I just hope that when it’s over I can have a nice little nervous breakdown… preferably in the spa with a suitably intoxicating bevy in my hand

Until the next time

Yoli, Barb and Fred.


One thought on “A Skippers Tale Part XVIII

  1. Hi Yoli, not too sure if you have received me txt. We are in VN at holiday time and the network is overloaded so not sending. We will be back on Monday so if help is still needed with the move, please call me. Love Lin and Tony xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s