I haven’t posted recently because in the grand scheme of things until the last 48 hours nothing of any real importance has occurred… We have been battling the usual tidal wave of paperwork whilst trying to keep our heads above water.
WE seemed to strike it lucky for a bit with Dad’s super… until they told us that they weren’t going to accept our Power of Attorney because we didn’t send an acceptance letter (which nobody else has ever asked for). We finally got that sorted and are waiting the funds which should arrive by the end of this week.
We wanted that in place for two reasons. 1) we still have a place pending at a care facility and we needed the funds and 2) I had booked a couple of days in Brisbane.
That was until 5.30 yesterday morning.
Those early morning calls are never what you want to hear. It was Dad’s nurse to tell us that he had suffered a severe seizure that ultimately took them about a hour to get under control and the use of three lots of anti convulsion drugs to settle.
Feck Arse Shite
I woke Mum up and we headed into the Hospital post haste. By the time we had gotten there Dad was sound asleep – they had expected him to do that for most of the day as the seizure would have taken a lot out of him. They also expressed the fact that there is no way of knowing what affect this seizure is going to have on him. As it was for the past week Dad has been so weak that he has been unable to bear his own weight for showers and the like. Even raising his hand to pet Coco when we have taken her in has been damn near impossible.
Mum lasted about 20 minutes before the situation started to get the better of her. This is incredibly hard for her because the man she has been married to for nearly 50 years has effectively left the building already. Even when Dad’s eyes are open he seems to stare through you.
So we came home and discussed what was going to happen next.
Obviously the first thing I did was arrange to cancel my trip. I had only decided to go when I was under the understand that Dad was going to remain stable. There’s no way I would have considered it if there had been the slightest inkling this was going to happen.
I have been very lucky. Qantas have been great about refunding my ticket and the guys from Oz Comic Con have said that I can hold my pass over until the next one (which will be Perth next year)… great to see that some people are still in the customer service business.
I have decided also that I am going to pull out of my Uni units this semester… it is too much for me to handle even the small amount that was required.
Anyway, it seemed we are just over yesterdays hurdle when another one has been tossed onto the course today. I was up at my dentist having a scrape and clean when Mum got another call from Bethesda. It would seem now Dad has developed pneumonia on his left lung!
We were given two options. 1) they could treat it with antibiotics and hope that Dad responded to it. Or 2) they could give him a morphine based suppressant that would help the cough and just manage pain without ‘treating’ the infection.
Realistically we have had to look at the longer term. If they treat it because Dad is bed ridden, the likelihood of it coming back is pretty good. And it would prolong his life/suffering for how long? We have decided to go with the second option. Keep him comfortable and let him know we love him.
So that is where we stand right now… I feel a bit like a wet dishrag so I am going to bed.